• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I recently bought Attrition by S.G. Night for myself AND for my friend. I already read and reviewed the ARC on my Kindle, sent to me so generously by Night, and decided I absolutely MUST HAVE that book in paperback because it’s one of my favorites, and to tell the truth, reading on a Kindle kind of pains me. But it was THAT worth it. And I only chose two books from last year to buy in paperback- this one and The Bride of Devil’s Acre by Jennifer Kohout, reviewed here. So if you had to ask me which books were my top favorite of 2013, top of the top ten, then those two would be it. Amazing books (and ARCs!) both.
Anyway, I bought it for my friend because he’s a writer and a reader (only a few of my friends actually read!) and I feel like this book was just so him. He writes pretty similarly to Night, and about the same sort of stuff. It just had his name written all over it. I think he’ll love it.
The only problem is, when I bought it, I got two copies- but they both had different covers! One was the old cover, and one was the newer cover. I like the newer one more, but I still had to decide- which one to keep and which one to give? Another factor- the one with the old cover had whiter pages, and the newer cover had more yellow pages. And I liked the cover font of the old one better. The newer one looks more YA Fantasy- oh goodness, how to choose? The number of pages, inside font and general layout are exactly the same.
In the end, I decided to keep the newer one because I liked the design better, and I like yellower pages. It’s easier to read, I think. I’m just wondering, how did it happen that I got one new, one old cover? How many old covers are left? Will it be a collector’s item in the future or a rare item?? Well, that’s his problem now (:
So what’s your Monday Musing? Share a link to your post in the comments, or just chat about something random! It’s Monday! Let’s have a discussion!