• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
Another fun quiz-type thing that I found on Musings From a Bookmammal.
1. Do you have a specific place for reading? In my room I have a really comfy chair that I use for reading, but I also read on my bed late at night and on the couch sometimes…basically anywhere.
2. Book mark or random piece of paper? If I’m reading my own book, I’ll dog-ear the page. If I’m reading a library book, I’ll use the red piece of cardstock that they use to stamp what date the book is due as a bookmark. I do have a nice collection of bookmarks, but they’re for decorative purposes only.
3. Can you just stop anywhere in a book or do you have to stop at the end of a chapter? If I have a time limit on what I’m reading, I’ll stop anywhere, but if it’s late at night and I really should be sleeping, for example, I’ll tell myself to get to the end of the chapter.
4. Do you eat or drink when reading? I used to do it more often (and spill food in my books too of course) but recently I haven’t been doing it as much.
5. Music or TV on when reading? I prefer quiet, even though I can tune out almost anything. I used to put on music but it began distracting me (I am an extremely musical person and I have to focus on either one or the other at a time).
6. One book at a time or several? It varies. For a few weeks, I’ll just do one at a time. But if I’m already reading something and I go to a friend’s house and they tell me to read some such book, I’ll borrow it and start reading that as well so I can give it back to them sooner. I’ve read up to 5 books at once.
7. Reading at home or elsewhere? Everywhere and anywhere.
8. Read out loud or silently? Silently. Although if a passage sounds particularly nice or emphatic, I’ll often recite it aloud just for the fun of it. And at school when we have to read passages or plays, I’ll often volunteer. A lot of other people read aloud with a monotone and I can’t stand that. I can do so much better.
9. Do you read ahead or skip pages? I used to have a weird habit of, when receiving a new book, flipping to some random page in the middle to see what the writing was like. Then I’d try to identify it later as I came across it in my reading. I was often unsuccessful. But I don’t usually read ahead. I sometimes have to cover part of the page to stop myself doing that, especially as I reach the end of a book. I do skip pages when I’m really bored though. Especially if the setting is described too much. Sometimes I’ll skip too much and have no idea where the characters are, but that usually doesn’t bother me.
10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new? Keeping it like new if possible. But I don’t mind if it’s a little well-loved.
11. Do you write in your books? Nope. If I really want to annotate it for some reason (like I did for Lord of the Rings), then I’ll use Post-Its.
12. Who are you tagging? Anyone who wants to do this!